In 1875 a group of black pioneers from the White Rock Community in Dallas moved to Denton County and named their settlement Freedman Town. Worship services, prayer groups, and Bible meetings were held in private homes. A minister among them, the Rev. M. P. Lambert, served the settlers until the Rev. J. B. Goins came in 1876 to organize the St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church. There were eighteen charter members in the congregation. The fellowship has provided significant service and leadership to the community and is an important part of the religious heritage of Denton County. (1985)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.