S. H. Morris sold 200 acres of his land grant in the 1830s for the establishment of the town of Sabine. Businesses included a post office, customs house, wagon factory, brick kiln and a tanning yard. The Sabine Town Cemetery contains 18 known graves; Mary Jane Scott's is the earliest recorded burial in 1842. The graveyard was in use until 1907; Harry C. Maunds is the last recorded burial. In 1970 the James Frederick Gomer Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas in Hemphill took over maintenance of the site.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.