Founded 1877, for travel from Tascosa, on the Canadian (25 mi. SW) to Dodge City, Kansas. Tascosa was supply center for hunters and settlers, Panhandle and South Plains; and for LE, LIT, LS and LX Ranches, running large herds of cattle on area's free grass. Tascosa stagecoach, freighters, cattle herds going to market used this road -- also traveled by gamblers, desperadoes, U.S. Marshals and noted frontiersmen. Tascosa had post office, 1878; was county seat, Oldham County, 1880. Town and trail declined after Fort Worth & Denver City Railway built into area, 1887.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.