Abraham (Abram) Roberts (1773-1850), a member of Stephen F. Austin's Colony, came to Texas in the late 1820s with his children, naming the area in which he settled New Kentucky. By the 1840s the area was known as the Spring Creek community and was settled by German immigrants. The first burial on this site is thought to have been that of Abraham Roberts. Though it is uncertain when the Roberts land began to be used for community burials, the earliest was probably that of infant Mary Schultz, who was born and died in 1858. The oldest surviving headstone is that of her young mother, Elizabeth M. Schultz, who died in 1859. Other notable graves include that of Abraham Roberts' son George (1811-1874) and those of the Montgomery family. A separate burial ground nearby is thought to have been given to the slaves of the Montgomery plantation by Abraham Roberts. C. A. Montgomery, who acquired the land from Abraham Roberts, deeded 202 acres to Henry Klabe (Kleb) in 1887, reserving two acres as the Roberts graveyard. The two-acre tract, often called The Old Roberts Burial Ground, and an additional acre were deeded to the community for continued use in 1919. A 1997 count revealed 258 marked and 15 unmarked graves in the cemetery. Cared for by family members until the Roberts Cemetery Association was formed in 1971, the graveyard continues to serve the community. (1998)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.