The land around this site was deeded to the trustees of the Lee School Community, one of whom was M. W. Preskitt, in April 1885. In August of the following year, the Lee School trustees deeded half that parcel to County Judge W. W. Brady for a burial ground. The earliest marked grave in the cemetery is that of infant Pearl Hobbs, who was born and died in June 1890. The families buried in the cemetery are among the first farm owners and families living in the community in the 1870s and 1880s. Early school trustee James W. Haynes, a Union Army veteran, is interred here, as are many other military veterans. The cemetery was once associated with a Baptist Church, which was torn down about 1930. At the dawn of the 21st century there were 172 known graves, 27 unmarked, on the property. (2000) Text of supplemental plate: Pioneer families represented in the Preskitt Cemetery include Bramlett, Burns, Haynes, Hilton, Little, Pound, Reeves, Taylor and Ware.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.