| In former Waco Indian region. First land grants were to Elisha Dennis, Manuel Madrigal, and Dr. Levi Jones, physician to Stephen F. Austin, the Father of Texas. First settlers (1850s) included Jesse Hayes, P. P. Whitehead, E. P. Wade. In 1857 Hill County's First Church of Christ congregation was organized here. Settlers by 1870 were families named Burks, Collins, Cranfil, Darden, Edwards, Harris, McIntosh, Page, Walling, and Wilson. Post office, Masonic lodge, school (Hill County Common District 1), and cemetery opened in 1870s. In 1872 the Missionary Baptist Church was organized. |
This page last updated: 7/15/2008
Prairie Valley Community Historical Marker Location Map, Texas
Related Themes: Texas Baptist Churches, Texas Freemasons, Masonic Lodges, Freemasonry
See more markers related to Texas Freemasonry.