Alfred D. Oliphint came to Texas and received land grants in 1839 and 1844 in Sabine County. He served as justice of the peace and county judge, and in 1879 deeded five acres of land to the Methodist Episcopal Church. This cemetery, located adjacent to the church, dates to at least 1870. Among those interred here are early settlers to the area, many of whom are buried in unmarked graves. The restored cemetery continues to serve the community and is maintained by the Oliphint Chapel Memorial Gardens Association. (1997)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.