The town of Red Rock grew at the crossing of the Austin - Port Lavaca Stagecoach Road (now FM 812) and the Bastrop - Gonzales Trail (now CR 229). In 1892 the town moved one mile east to the newly-laid railroad. This site, with more than 370 graves, is the burial place of pioneer settlers, including Texas trail drivers and veterans of the Texas Revolution, the Mexican War, and the Civil War. The first documented burial was in 1864. Earlier graves may have been lost when homemade sandstone markers were removed. The cemetery is maintained by descendants of area pioneers.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.