| Built by Virgil Henson (1882-1967) and W. A. Covin (1871--1946) in 1909, this structure housed the First State Bank of Edgewood. Started by J. P. Downs (1879-1932), it later became the First National Bank. In 1918 a second floor was added, providing meeting space for the directors and a Masonic Lodge. In 1929 the Farmers and Merchants State Bank merged with First National. Directors at the time included N. L. Cheatham, J. E. Humphries, J. H. Jones, Lee Joyner, R. M. Millsaps, W. H. Pickens, Sr., W. A. Presley, R. E. Slaughter, and G. M. Youngblood. The bank moved in 1959 and the building later housed a cafe. (1980) |
This page last updated: 8/23/2009 23:31:18
Old First National Bank Building Historical Marker Location Map, Edgewood, Texas
Related Themes: Texas Freemasons, Masonic Lodges, Freemasonry
See more markers related to Texas Freemasonry.