Founded 1879 by John Peter Smith, one of Fort Worth's first settlers, who became a civic leader, Mayor, philanthropist. He gave 20 acres to City; cemetery since enlarged to 100. The area contains three cemeteries: Oakwood, Calvary, Trinity. Many Fort Worth and Tarrant County men and women of destiny are buried here.
Plots are owned by lodges, unions, Catholic, Protestant, Negro, and White. Tracts are dedicated to Union and Confederate soldiers. The Chapel was built in 1914. Oakwood, Calvary Associations, and City provide care. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
|StoppingPoints.com Editorial on Oakwood Cemetery:|
|See also the John Peter Smith Historical Marker in downtown Ft. Worth.|
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.