Pioneer settlers of this area of Comanche County arrived in the mid-1850s and established a town named for the nearby South Leon River. P.W. Brewer set aside land for a cemetery and church in 1872. Although earlier unmarked burials exist here, the oldest documented grave is that of Rosie E. McCurdy, who died in 1875. After the town name was changed to Newburg in the 1880s, the cemetery also was renamed. Local pioneers and veterans of conflicts dating back to the Mexican War are buried here. A cemetery association maintains the historic graveyard. (1994)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.