About 1870 this area of Burleson County was settled by Czech-Moravian immigrants in search of fertile land and the religious freedom denied them in their native European homeland. Informal services were held twice a year in the family home of Joseph Macat until 1877, when The Rev. L. J. Chlumsky, of Washington County's Wesley community, accepted the call to conduct services at New Tabor Brethren Church. The congregation built a sanctuary at this location in 1893, the year of its formal organization as the Evangelical Czech-Moravian Brethren Church. The church building was destroyed by a tornado in 1915 and replaced by a new sanctuary later that year. New Tabor was the site of the Texas State Convention of Czech-Moravian Churches in 1919 during which independent congregations such as New Tabor's were accepted into the Unified Church denomination. The church organized a Mutual Aid Society in 1920, a Christian Sisters Society in 1927, and a Young People's Circle in 1936. The congregation's third sanctuary was constructed here in 1953. In 1962 a Men's Brotherhood was organized and in 1971 a nearby church cemetery was established. New Tabor continues to serve the community by sponsoring various outreach programs.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.