| A pioneer among privately - endowed Texas libraries. Situated in Getzendaner Park, which had been donated to the city on Dec. 31, 1895, by Capt. W.H. Getzendaner (1834-1909), and attorney, Confederate veteran, banker, and president of the Dallas & Waco Railroad. Nicholas P. Sims (1806-1902), a native of Virginia who settled in 1833 in Ellis County and prospered as a farmer and investor, endowed the library and lyceum in 1902, naming as trustees his stepsons O.E. and S. W. Dunlap, along with George H. Cunningham. Architect S. Wemyes Smith of Fort Worth designed the Neo-Classical building, using Carrara marble and other fine structural materials. The library opened in April 1905. Books and reading rooms were on the first floor, with the auditorium, athenaeum, anterooms, and stage for performing arts on the second floor. Braden and Jones designed the wings. The west wing was financed (1958) by an Ellis Countian, the talented inventor, J. Harry Phillips (1872-1962). Industrialist W.H. Larkin and Mrs. Larkin financed (1965) the east wing. Other major gifts were received from sale of the home bequeathed by 1938-52 city secretary Robert A Watson and Mrs. Watson, and from sale of the farm of Judge Oscar E. Dunlap. |
This page last updated: 7/15/2008
N. P. Sims Library and Lyceum Historical Marker Location Map, Waxahachie, Texas
Related Themes: Texas C.S.A., Texas Confederate States of America, Confederacy
Texas Confederate Historical Markers.