William J. Uncle Billy Williams (1826-1918), whose family settled this area in 1844, set aside 3.5 acres of this cemetery in 1852 for burial of his two-year-old niece, Angelina Williams. Oldest gravestones are those of his parents, Elizabeth (1789-1861) and George Williams (1786-1863). First called Williams Cemetery, it became known as Mt. Carmel after a Methodist church by that name was built nearby in 1883. An open chapel was added to the property in 1891; another erected in 1920 still stands. Maintained by Mt. Carmel Cemetery Association, the site has grown to 37.6 acres and contains about 10,000 graves.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.