Pioneer settlers used this site for burials as early as the 1840s. The oldest known grave is that of Amanda L. Houx (1829 - 1847). In 1868 William Huffhines donated a two-acre tract, which included the early graves, to Mount Calvary Baptist Church. A frame church building stood here until 1885, when the congregation moved to Richardson and later became the First Baptist Church. More land was added to the burial ground by C. C. Huffhines in 1896 and C. B. Chick in 1925 and 1935. A cemetery association, formed in 1924, cares for the almost 800 graves here.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.