One of the oldest cemeteries in continuous use in Harris County, this cemetery was founded by Colonel James Morgan, Texas revolutionary soldier. Located on land bought by Morgan in 1834, it was part of a family estate called The Orange Grove. The earliest marked grave here is that of James Morgan's niece, Sarah P. Morgan Patrick, who died of smallpox on July 13, 1838. Morgan's wife, Celia Gordon Morgan, was buried in October 1840, a victim of tuberculosis. Colonel Morgan was buried here in March 1866. The Morgan family plot was at one time lined with handmade bricks and marked by a large tombstone bearing the names of family members. The stone disappeared and was found by fishermen years later submerged in the bay. Stolen again after its replacement, it was never recovered. The cemetery, which had originally encompassed a much larger area, is surrounded by an industrial complex. The Morgan's Point Cemetery Association, formed in 1922, cared for the cemetery until the city of Morgan's Point assumed responsibility for maintenance in 1965. A fence was built in 1968, and ordinances regarding care of the cemetery were passed in recent years. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.