Local contractor Charles Funk built this house for John M. and Estelle Moore in 1887 at a cost of $2,000. At that time John M. Moore (1853-1902), a former Texas legislator and district attorney, was secretary of state for Governor Lawrence Sullivan (Sul) Ross. Laura A. E. (Metz) Flack (1836-1933) purchased the house in 1901, and in the 1920s modified the original Victorian design with the addition of a two-story neo-classical revival porch. A prominent Austin businesswoman who owned a number of buildings on Congress Avenue, Flack lived here with her family until her death. The house remained in her family for another forty years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.