Lee J. Lee of Virginia moved to this area by 1859. One-year-old Georgiannia W. Derrick died in 1860 and was buried on the Lee property. Herbert Lee designated the land for a cemetery in his 1865 will. At some time after May 1908, two stones were erected bearing the names of George W. and William B. Derrick, who died in 1831. Whether or not the two pioneers are interred on this site remains unknow. Most graves are dated between 1870 and 1890. Money was tight during the Reconstruction era, which may explain the lack of ornate stones. An underground vault in the center of the graveyard filled with dirt and the markers within the vault deteriorated. At least one grave on this site it that of a citizen of The Republic of Texas. Others were veterans of the Civil War. The last burial took place in 1913. (2000)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.