In early 1857 the Rev. J. S. Bledsoe began preaching in a post oak grove near the Hopewell community. By 1858 the Hopewell Baptist Church was organized with 30 members and the Rev. J. S. Bledsoe as first pastor. Harvey Yarborough deeded 10 acres near his home to the church and in 1859 a structure was erected on the site. During Reconstruction, members sponsored ex-slaves in the formation of their own churches. In 1973 a new brick building was dedicated and in 1994 a modern educational building was erected. In 1998 the congregation marked its 140th year of continuous worship services. (1998)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.