In 1853 Garrett and James Gibson, along with other family members, came to Tarrant County and established 160-acre homesteads in a settlement that came to be known as the Gibson Community. Each brother donated land at this site for use as a cemetery. The earliest marked grave is that of Garrett Gibson's infant grandson, James Truitt (d. 1866). All but two of the seventy-three marked graves, many of which have only fieldstones, are for relatives of the Gibson family. The cemetery now serves as a reminder of one of Tarrant County's earliest settlements. (1983)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.