Settled prior to 1848, when Dr. J. S. Wills established a mule-drawn gin here. Post office was founded in 1851, the year county was organized. Dr. Wills gave a block of land for courthouse, but voters declined to make Cotton Gin the county seat. Town had 3 churches, a good school, a newspaper, a Masonic Lodge, stores and saloons. In the 1870's when Houston & Texas Central Railroad built a few miles to the west, business interests left here. Cotton Gin illustrates fate of hundreds of early Texas towns by-passed by railroads, highways and industry. (1967)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.