| On site acquired August 18, 1877, for Fort Griffin Lodge No. 489, A.F. & A.M., chartered on December 14, 1878. Stone was quarried nearby on Collins Creek. Volunteers built hall. School, civic affairs, church services of many denominations were held downstairs, the lodge upstairs. In 1881, community was dealt two blows: The U.S. Army vacated Fort Griffin and the Texas Central Railroad line bypassed the town. In 1886, the lodge moved to Throckmorton. School, held here until 1937, was consolidated with Albany in 1942. Structure is still used by clubs and for church services. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1973. |
This page last updated: 7/15/2008
Fort Griffin Lodge Hall Historical Marker Location Map, Albany, Texas
Related Themes: Texas Freemasons, Masonic Lodges, Freemasonry, Ancient Free & Accepted Masons
See more markers related to Texas Freemasonry.