Oldest bank between Houston and the Louisiana border. Organized on April 9, 1889, with capital of $100,000, as First National Bank of Beaumont, it was granted National Bank Charter No. 4017. First president was Valentine Wiess, a lumber man. Directors were W. A. Fletcher, John N. Gilbert, John L. Keith, L. P. Ogden, H. Solinsky, V. Wiess and W. Wiess. Fletcher was vice-president, J. P. Alvey, cashier. During the course of its history, other banks to merge with First National were Gulf National Bank in July 1919 and Texas National Bank in April 1932. The First National Bank and the Security State Bank were consolidated in October 1961 as First Security National Bank, which celebrated in 1964 its diamond anniversary of service to Texans. Activities of this financial institution have been interwoven with the growth of the community from a sawmill town of 3,200 people to a center of commerce and industry. Its corporate annals reflect participation in the great Spindletop oil boom, in the opening of the Sabine-Neches Ship Channel, and in development of the rice industry. Now the largest and oldest bank and financial institution in Golden Triangle area of Texas.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.