Fort Worth civic leader John Peter Smith donated land at this site in 1879 for use as a cemetery to serve the early Jewish residents of the City. Maintenance of the grounds was first provided by the Emanuel Hebrew Association, which was started by local families. The earliest marked grave is that of a child, Leah Kaiser, who died in 1879. Under the control of Congregation Beth-el since 1962, Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery is the burial site of many prominent business, professional, and civic leaders of Fort Worth's Jewish community. (1981)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.