The Dye Mound Community was founded in the late 1850s and named for a trapper who owned a trading post at the foot of the hills. In 1889, Dye Mound Cemetery trustees bought more than three acres of land from S.T. Boswell and his wife. The town continued to grow and its first church building was completed in 1890. By the late 1920s, this once thriving community began to decline, and by 1956, only remnants of a ghost town remained. The Dye Mound Cemetery, however, still serves the area as a reminder of the early cotton town. (1984)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.