Kentucky native Samuel H. Burnside, an 1882 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, opened a medical practice in Wichita Falls in 1883. Mary Margaret Grice, a native of Philadelphia, moved to Wichita Falls in 1885 at the invitation of her uncle, George Fox, and was treated for tuberculosis by Dr. Burnside. A romance ensued, and the two were married in 1887. Mary purchased land on Seventh Street where the couple built a large home, which also housed the doctor's office. Dr. Burnside built a hospital, the Wichita Falls Sanitarium, next door to the house in 1907. Well respected in medical circles, Dr. Burnside was a renowned physician who also served as chief surgeon for two railroad companies and medical examiner for twenty-four insurance companies. He performed innovative surgeries and often treated Comanche Indians from the nearby reservations in Oklahoma. Mary Burnside was a leader in local and state civic organizations, including the daughters of the American Revolution and the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs. Both Dr. and Mrs. Burnside were active in the First Presbyterian Church. They were the parents of five children, two of whom lived to adulthood. (1994)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.