Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Mitchell County Westbrook Discovery Well of the Permian Basin

Discovery Well of the Permian Basin

  Texas Historical Markers
IH 20, 2 mi. W of Westbrook, Westbrook, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 32° 20' 36.30054999984", -101° 3' 46.1247099984"
    Texas State
Historical Marker
    The first commercial discovery oil well in the Permian Basin was named for W.H. Abrams, leasing agent for the Texas and Pacific land trust. The well first produced oil in February 1920 at a depth of 450 feet; but in June 1920, a better showing of oil was found at 2345-2410 feet. On July 16, 1920, the well was shot with nitroglycerin. As a crowd of 2,000 people looked on, a great eruption of oil, gas, water, and smoke shot from the mouth of the well almost to the top of the derrick. Shortly after, the well flowed at a rate of 129 barrels daily, but soon settled down to 20 barrels per day. From this well and a well nearby the Rio Grande Oil Company laid the first commercial oil pipeline in the Permian Basin. The first load of oil went through the pipeline on April 3, 1922. W.H. Abrams No. 1 was redesignated on May 1, 1968 as Westbrook southeast unit No. 701, formed to increase oil recovery from the Westbrook oil field by water flooding. This enhanced oil recovery technique has produced 67 million barrels of the more than 100 million barrels of oil recovered from this field. Designated as major fields, only a small number produce 100 million barrels of oil or more. Fifty-six major fields are located in the Permian Basin, the fourth largest oil producing area in the U.S. (1967, 1996)

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

Discovery Well of the Permian Basin Historical Marker Location Map, Westbrook, Texas