Rebecca Cumings and her three brothers, James, John, and William, migrated to Texas from Virginia in 1821. As members of Stephen F. Austin's Old 300 colony, they were given 20,000 acres here in return for the construction and operation of a mill on a nearby creek. Two years after the 1885 deaths of William's son and grandson, Samuel Cumings and Samuel, Jr., this family vault was built for their reinterment. Constructed of stuccoed brick, it was designed by Samuel's son George. Fifteen members of the Cumings family are buried here. (1981)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.