Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Hopkins County Cumby Cumby


  Texas Historical Markers
Cumby, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 33° 8' 15.47646", -95° 50' 22.36902"
    Texas State
Historical Marker
     The grove of black jack trees which gave this town its original name was near an Indian camping ground. The trees stood atop the highest point in present Hopkins County. An Indian trail that crossed the grove later became a major wagon freighting route. Black Jack Grove Post Office opened in 1848 in the home of John W. Matthews, the first postmaster. In 1851 D. W. Cole purchased a tract of land that included the grove from Elizabeth Wren and began selling town lots. Cole operated a store and gave land for the first Masonic Lodge building. Henry Bingham ran a tavern which also served as a hotel. By 1860, Black Jack Grove was a thriving settlement with several stores, two physicians, two blacksmiths, and other tradesmen. A log structure housed the school. Later a vacant store served as a school and church facility. To avoid confusion with another Black Jack Post Office, the town was renamed in 1896 for legislator and Confederate veteran Robert H. Cumby. After 1900, two banks opened and the town incorporated. Later the population began to decline as improved highways lessened Cumby's importance as a trading center. One of Cumby's best-known citizens was the noted author Ben K. Green (1912-1974).

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

Cumby Historical Marker Location Map, Texas

Related Themes: Texas C.S.A., Texas Confederate States of America, Confederacy, Texas Freemasons, Masonic Lodges, Freemasonry
See more markers related to .
 View other