Physician and lay preacher Thomas A. Ball and his wife, Nancy (Yeats), came to Denton County from Missouri soon after the Civil War ended in 1865. They settled with their family on land that would become the community of Corinth.
The Ball Family donated land already in use as a graveyard to the Primity Baptist Church at Shiloh, Texas. The first marked grave is that of William Garrison (d. 1870). In 1880, the Wichita & Dallas Railway named the settlement Corinth. An additional land donation in 1953 enlarged the cemetery to 2.5 acres. The community called the burial ground Shiloh Cemetery for many years until a cemetery association formed in 1959 and members adopted the name Corinth Shiloh Cemetery.
Features of the early cemetery include native sandstone markers and decorative mussel shells harvested from nearby creeks. Today, Corinth Shiloh Cemetery chronicles the history of area settlers. Decendants and friends reunite for annual decoration days to clean and decorate the graves of those buried here.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2003
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.