Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Washington County Independence Columns of a Building of Old Baylor University
     

Columns of a Building of Old Baylor University

  Texas Historical Markers
Independence, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 30° 18' 54.657792", -96° 21' 9.271332"
 
    Texas State
Historical Marker
    Outgrowth of efforts of Judge R. E. B. Baylor and others; chartered by on Feb. 1, 1845; opened 1846--Baylor is the oldest university in Texas operating under original name. Until moving (1886) to Belton and Waco, Baylor was located here for 40 years, under Presidents H. L. Graves, R. C. Burleson, G. W. Baines (whose great grandson, Lyndon Baines Johnson, became 36th U.S. president), and W. C. Crane. These columns mark site of Baylor Female College; men attended Baylor University, on hill to the south, across the River Jordan. Restored 1952 by ex-students and friends under leadership of Baylor Historical Society.

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

Image Gallery

Columns of a Building of Old Baylor University Historical Marker Location Map, Independence, Texas