Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Fort-bend County Richmond City of Richmond
     

City of Richmond

  Texas Historical Markers
Houston & 5th St., Richmond, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 29° 33' 46.75866999984", -95° 45' 59.70988000008"
 
    Texas State
Historical Marker
    Area was settled in 1822 by members of Stephen F. Austin's colony, who first called their community Fort Settlement. Earliest known burial was made by Wm. Morton, who donated land for Morton Cemetery. Town was formally laid out 1837 by land promoters R. E. Handy and Wm. Lusk, who named it for Richmond, Virginia. City was elected county seat in 1838. Most famous resident was Mrs. Jane Long, Mother of Texas, who ran Veranda Hotel and established a plantation here in 1837. She is buried in Morton Cemetery. Also in 1837 famous scout Erastus Deaf Smith died here and was buried in the city. County purchased first courthouse in 1842; built a brick on in 1849. In 1855 an extension of the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (the first railroad in Texas) brought increased prosperity. Vigorous saloon fighter Carry Nation operated the National Hotel here prior to moving to Kansas. Her departure was connected with the Jaybird-Woodpecker political feud, which climaxed in a shootout around the Courthouse Square in 1889. Another noted Richmond citizen, John M. Moore, led way in raising quality of range cattle. Service in Legislature, 1896-1905, and U. S. Congress, 1905-1913.

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

City of Richmond Historical Marker Location Map, Texas