James Robertson (J.R.) Couts (1833-1904), a native of Tennessee, brought his family to Texas in 1858. Soon after the end of the Civil War, in which he served with a Texas frontier guard unit, Couts embarked on a long cattle drive to California. After wintering in Colorado and selling his stock in California, he returned to Weatherford in 1868 with $50,000 in gold. In partnership with John A. Fain, he set up the Couts & Fain Bank on the Courthouse Square. By 1871 Fain had left the partnership and was succeeded by W.E. Hughes. At that time the bank was known as Hughes, Couts & Company. Two years later Hughes left, and Couts' new partner was Henry Warren. The institution was renamed J.R. Couts & Company. By 1882 Warren had left the company. Couts applied for a federal banking charter, which was granted under the name Citizens National Bank. A two-story stone building was completed on the corner of the Courthouse Square and N. Main Street in 1885. The bank continued to grow and prosper over the years, and in 1927 a merger was completed with the Parker County National Bank. Located in the same building for over one hundred years, Citizens National Bank is an important part of Weatherford's history. (1988)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.