First known as Fairview Graveyard, this cemetery began in the late 1800s. This hilltop was also the site of the Baptist church and school, and was a community gathering place. The church building was torn down in 1954. Land for the cemetery was deeded in 1893 by the Armstrong and Dean families. The earliest marked grave is that of three-year-old Xanthippa Rountree in 1875, but many unmarked graves and illegible tombstones may represent older burials. Pioneer settlers, young children, and Civil War veterans are among those buried at this cemetery. (1996)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.