Originally one of five squares platted for public use in 1831 by J. Francisco Madero, general land commissioner of Texas (under Mexican government), in accordance with the provisions of 1825 Law of Colonization -- Article 34. Madero changed name of site from Atascosito, meaning boggy, to Liberty to reflect his hopes for the future of Texas. The first courthouse was built on this square, 1831; a second in 1857; a third in 1877; a fourth in 1895-96; and the present one in 1930-31. Many Texas statesmen including Sam Houston and David G. Burnet practiced law here.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.