Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Parker County Weatherford Cartersville
     

Cartersville

  Texas Historical Markers
Carter Rd, of US 51 N of Weatherford 2 mi., Weatherford, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 32° 54' 57.40720999992", -97° 44' 4.30293999984"
 
    Texas State
Historical Marker
     Founded in 1866 by Judge W.F. Carter, Henry C. Vardy, and Thomas Parkinson, Cartersville was a thriving community for many years. At its height, the town boasted two main thoroughfares, Main Street and College Avenue. Local businesses included stores, a blacksmith shop, corn mill, flour mill, and cotton gin. A post office opened in 1867, and the town also included homes, a school, and two churches. The name of the town was changed to Carter in 1888. By the early 1900s the town began to decline, and little now remains of the community. (1988)

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

Cartersville Historical Marker Location Map, Weatherford, Texas