Settlement of this area began in the 1870s. By 1880 a school, church, and cemetery were established. Located on land deeded by W.W. and Mary A. Wilcox, this cemetery and the nearby church serve as reminders of the once thriving community of Brushy. The earliest documented grave in the cemetery is that of W.C. Hatfield (1846-1877). Also interred here, in marked and unmarked graves, are veterans of the Civil War, children, and pioneer settlers. Descendants of early citizens still reside in the area, and a cemetery association formed in 1973 maintains the graveyard. (1990)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.