On Nov. 26, 1881, nine residents of the rural Boswell community met in a log schoolhouse (.25 mi. S) to organize this Baptist church. The Rev. T. E. King served as the first pastor and services were held in the schoolhouse until 1883. That year a frame chapel was built here on land donated by Phillip J. Ellisor. The Boswell Baptist Church was the center of community activity for many years, but declined after World War II. Although the congregation disbanded in 1950, the site is still used for an annual homecoming. Many prominent preachers and church leaders served here.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.