Established in 1866 by Texas Confederate veterans for children of deceased soldiers. Had capacity for 250. Rev. Henry F. Gillette was first superintendent. C. S. A. Col. Ashbel Smith, diplomat, soldier and statesman, was staff doctor. trustees included leading citizens. Donations from Harris and Galveston counties started the home, but later gifts came from as far away as New Orleans. After the Confederate children grew up, home and school were opened to others. Bayland was forerunner of the De Pelchin faith Home, of Houston.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.