Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Home North Carolina Guilford County City of Whitsett Historical Markers Old Brick Church
     

Old Brick Church

Brick Church Road at SR 3111, Whitsett, NC, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 36° 0' 10.6056", -79° 33' 28.4112"
  North Carolina State Historical Marker
 
    North Carolina State
Historical Marker
    Marker Text:
"Originally German Reformed. Now United Church of Christ. Served in 1759 by James Martin. This church was begun in 1813 and was remodeled in 1840. "
     Long known as the “Clapp Church,” the German Reformed congregation was established by George and Ludwig Clapp on Beaver Creek in the mid-eighteenth century. The first minister to serve the congregation was James Martin. The original log meeting house was succeeded by a small brick church in 1813. The congregation rebuilt the structure, using those same bricks, in 1839-1841. Substantial renovations were made in 1946 and again late in the twentieth century. Today the church is affiliated with the United Church of Christ.
     
     German immigration to the Piedmont swelled in the period from 1745 to 1760, with large numbers settling on the waters of the Haw River and its tributaries. The Clapps were among the newcomers as were the Albrights, Fausts, and other families. In addition to worshipping on the site church faithful also established a school. In 1813 James R. Riley, a young minister, visited the Reformed churches in Guilford County. On October 16, he held a communion service at the Clapp Church, with fifty-seven being added to the membership that day.


References:
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003)
Ethel Stephens Arnett, Greensboro, North Carolina: The County Seat of Guilford (1955)
William L. Saunders, ed., Colonial Records of North Carolina, VIII, 734-736
William Thornton Whitsett, History of the Brick Church and the Clapp Family (1925)




 
StoppingPoints.com Editorial on Old Brick Church:

Brick Reform United Church of Christ

Nowadays the Old Brick Church is the Brick Reform United Church of Christ.
 
Address:
3699 Brick Church Rd
Burlington, NC 27215
(336) 449-6034
   
     
Image Gallery

 
Old Brick Church Historical Marker Location Map, Whitsett, North Carolina