Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Home North Carolina Halifax County City of Halifax Historical Markers Colonial Churchyard
     

Colonial Churchyard

St. David Street at King Street, Halifax, NC, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 36° 19' 45.5232", -77° 35' 19.7556"
  North Carolina State Historical Marker
 
    North Carolina State
Historical Marker
    Marker Text:
"Graves of Confederate general Junius Daniel, editor Abraham Hodge, U.S. District Judge John Sitgreaves, are 1 bl. N.E."
The “Colonial Churchyard” of Halifax contains some of the earliest gravestones in that region of North Carolina. It surrounds a small chapel built in the mid to late eighteenth century by the Church of England. The building housed one of the four original churches in the Edgecombe Parish (present-day Halifax County). Around 1822, St. Mark’s Episcopal Church organized and used the old chapel. St. Mark’s soon after declined, but was re-organized in 1855. The chapel stood until 1911.

The oldest gravestone in the cemetery is that of William Alexander, a merchant who died in October 1766. Others buried there are Sarah Davie, wife of William R. Davie, founder of the University of North Carolina; John Sitgreaves, an early U.S. district court judge; Abraham Hodge, the printer and editor of the North Carolina Journal; and Confederate General Junius Daniel. More recent gravestones belong to the Daniel, Marshal, and Gary families, who were strong supporters of the Episcopal Church during the nineteenth century.


References:
Stuart Hall Smith and Claiborne T. Smith Jr., The History of Trinity Paris and Edgecombe Parish (1955)
W. C. Allen, History of Halifax County (1918)
Letter from Claiborne T. Smith Jr. to Department of Archives and History, December 8, 1952, in marker files, Archives and History
   
Related Themes: C.S.A., Confederate States of America, Confederacy
 
Explore other
North Carolina Civil War Historical Markers.

 
     
 
Colonial Churchyard Historical Marker Location Map, Halifax, North Carolina