Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
HomeCaliforniaSacramento County → Sacramento
Old Sacramento
E. B. Crocker Art Gallery
 

Sacramento City Historical Markers

Map of California State Historical Marker Locations in the City of Sacramento
 

Sacramento City Historical Markers

Sacramento Churches
First African American Episcopal Church Established on the Pacific Coast
This is the site of the first church building associated with an African American religious congregation on the Pacific Coast. The church was the Meth... [click for more]

Site of Congregational Church
In 1849, the Rev. Joseph A. Benton organized the first church in Sacramento. ... [click for more]

The First Jewish Synagogue Owned by A Congregation on the Pacific Coast
The building that stood on this site was prefabricated in Baltimore and shipped around Cape Horn in 1849. It originally housed the Methodist Episcopal... [click for more]

Sacramento Historic Homes & Houses
Chevra Kaddisha (Home Of Peace Cemetery)
This site was the first Jewish cemetery in California. On November 12, 1850, R. J. Watson gave a Deed of Trust to Louis Schaul: 'Lot number four in th... [click for more]

Five Mile House-Overland Pony Express Route in California
Departing at 2:45 a.m. from the Alta Telegraph Co. in Sacramento, rider Sam (Bill) Hamilton carried the first mail of the Central Overland Pony Expres... [click for more]

Old Folsom Powerhouse-Sacramento Station A
The first distribution point of electricity for a major city, Station A was constructed in 1894 by the Sacramento Electric Power and Light Company to ... [click for more]

Sam Brannan House
This building, erected by Henry E. Robinson in 1853 on land owned by Sam Brannan, was used as the first meeting place of the Pioneer Association and o... [click for more]

Site Of Home Of Newton Booth
This is the site of the store and home of Newton Booth, Governor of California 1871-1873 and U.S. Senator 1873-1879. ... [click for more]

Site of Pioneer Mutual Volunteer Firehouse
Erected in 1854, this structure was occupied by Engine Co. 1, the oldest fire company of California. ... [click for more]

Stanford-lathrop Home
The house was originally designed in 1857 by Seth Babson and was purchased by Leland Stanford in 1861. It served as the state executive office from 18... [click for more]

What Cheer House
The celebrated hotel was constructed on this site in 1853. State offices were located here in 1855. ... [click for more]

Sacramento General Interest
Adams and Company Building
Erected in the fall of 1853, this building was occupied during 1853-1855 by Adams and Co.'s express and banking house. The Alta Telegraph Co., Califor... [click for more]

B. F. Hastings Building
This structure, erected in 1852-53, was occupied during the 1850s by the B. F. Hastings Bank, Wells Fargo & Co., various state officials, the Sacr... [click for more]

California Almond Growers Exchange Processing Facility
The California Almond Growers Exchange, founded in 1910, was the first successful grower-owned cooperative for marketing California almonds. It pionee... [click for more]

California’s Capitol Complex
The historic Capitol was designed by architects M. F. Butler and Ruben Clark. Its style is an adaptation of Roman Corinthian architecture. Work began ... [click for more]

California’s First Passenger Railroad
The Sacramento Valley Railroad, running from Sacramento to Folsom, was begun at this site on February 12, 1855. The passenger terminal was located her... [click for more]

Camp Union, Sutterville
Organized here on October 8, 1861, the 5th Infantry Regiment, California Volunteers was trained by Brevet Brigadier General George W. Bowie for duty a... [click for more]

China Slough
The site of the slough, which formerly extended from 3rd to 5th Streets and north of I Street in Sacramento, is now occupied by the Southern Pacific d... [click for more]

D. O. Mills Bank Building
Erected in 1852, this building housed one of the oldest and largest banks of early-day California. ... [click for more]

E. B. Crocker Art Gallery
This building was erected in 1870 to house the private art collection of Judge and Mrs. E. B. Crocker. The building and its contents were donated to t... [click for more]

Eagle Theater
This is the site of the first building in California constructed as a theater in 1849. The theater was reconstructed in 1974. ... [click for more]

Ebner’s Hotel
This hotel was built by Charles Ebner in 1856. It is said that Captain Sutter was a frequent visitor here. (Old Sacramento)... [click for more]

First Transcontinental Railroad-Western Base of The Sierra Nevada
On January 12, 1864, President Abraham Lincoln decreed that the western base of the Sierra Nevada began where the Central Pacific Railroad crossed Arc... [click for more]

First Transcontinental Railroad
Here, on January 8, 1863, Governor Leland Stanford turned the first spade of earth to begin construction of the Central Pacific Railroad. After more t... [click for more]

Governor’s Mansion
This mansard-styled Victorian house was built for Albert Gallatin in 1877. Acquired by the State, it served as the first official Governor's residence... [click for more]

Lady Adams Building
This store and office building was erected in 1852 from materials brought around the Horn in the ship Lady Adams. (Old Sacramento)... [click for more]

Michigan Bar
Now practically obliterated by hydraulic and dredging operations, the booming town of Michigan Bar once contained 1,500 population. Gold was discovere... [click for more]

New Helvetia Cemetery
This was the site of Sacramento's first cemetery, established by Captain John A. Sutter in 1849. ... [click for more]

Nisipowinan Village Site
This was the location of the most significant Indian village and cemetery of this region. The Nisipowinan, part of the Maidu tribe, had a strong econo... [click for more]

Old Sacramento
Founded in December 1848 by John A. Sutter, Jr., Sacramento was an outgrowth of Sutter's Fort established by his father, Captain John A. Sutter, in 18... [click for more]

Original Sacramento Bee Building
The Sacramento Bee was founded in 1857, its first issue was dated February 3, 1857. Its early home was in this two-story brick building on the west si... [click for more]

Orleans Hotel
This hotel, erected in 1852, served as a depot for stage companies and others. (Old Sacramento)... [click for more]

Overton Building
This building was constructed in 1852 and was occupied in the 1850s by various state offices and commercial companies. ... [click for more]

Pioneer Telegraph Station
Erroneously called the Pony Express Terminal, this was the location of the office occupied by the State Telegraph Company, 1863-1868, and the Western ... [click for more]

Prairie City
Site of Prairie City, mining town and center of trade in California's gold rush days. In July 1853, at the height of its prosperity, Prairie City incl... [click for more]

Sacramento Assembly Center, Temporary Detention Camps For Japanese Americans
The temporary detention camps (also known as 'assembly centers') represent the first phase of the mass incarceration of 97,785 Californians of Japanes... [click for more]

Sacramento City Cemetery
Resting place of California pioneers, this cemetery was established in 1850. Many of the victims of the cholera epidemic of that year are buried here.... [click for more]

Sacramento Union
Erected in 1851, this structure was occupied by the Sacramento Union in 1852. The newspaper began its career March 19, 1851 at 21 J Street, Sacramento... [click for more]

Site Of First And Second State Capitols At Sacramento
Sacramento's first County Courthouse, formerly located on this site, served as California's State Capitol from January 16, 1852 to May 4, 1852 and fro... [click for more]

Site Of Stage And Railroad (first)
This is the site of the terminal of stages of the 1850s and of the Sacramento Valley Railroad in 1855. ... [click for more]

State Indian Museum
The State Indian Museum was built fifty years ago as California's first state-run museum devoted to Indian cultures. It continues to serve the same pu... [click for more]

Sutter’s Fort
John Augustus Sutter, born of Swiss parents in Germany, arrived in New York in July 1834 and in California in July 1839. He founded the fort in 1839 t... [click for more]

Sutter’s Landing
Captain John A. Sutter, after coming up the Sacramento River from Yerba Buena in August 1839, landed approximately two hundred feet north of here, at ... [click for more]

Sutterville
Sutter laid out a townsite here in 1844, about two miles below the embarcadero. In 1847, George Zins built one of the first brick structures erected i... [click for more]

The Coloma Road, Sutter’s Fort
Sutter's Fort, established by Capt. John A. Sutter in August 1839, marked the western end of the Coloma Road. Opened in 1847, this road ran from the f... [click for more]

Western Hotel
Constructed by William Land in 1875, this hotel was one of the largest in the West. It was built on sites of earlier hotels of 1853-1854. ... [click for more]